Friday 25 October 2013

Learn Greek and remember to say Hello at Passport Control

Once smitten by Kos and the charms of the Greek people I returned home to learn Greek. Evening class seemed the best place to start but I got lost with so many keen students working at so many different levels . So I listened to CD's not bad, but then I found University students in Brighton keen to learn English and reciprocate by offering me Greek lessons. Persephone made me do grammar, hard going at the best of times, but Orestis made me sing all the verbs and phrases to get the correct rise and fall for the stress. Stress was right but not how he meant and I do find a little drink helps the flow and gets rid of inhibitions.

Anyway determined to give it a go I thought I'd go along to the lovely Bookshop in Kefalos and acquire a few children's language books as I felt they might be more at my level. 'Do you speak a little English', I thought I'd asked. 'No, I speak a lot of Greek he answered', I was a bit puzzled then realised I mixed up my Ellinika with my Anglika.Oops! Oh well he knew what I was trying to say, bless him, and sorted me out.
 
It's still worth the effort to try and speak Greek. How many tourists arriving at Kos airport greet the passport control officer with a kalispera  or a kalimera? Not many judging by the fixed expression on his face. But notice the difference the moment someone attempts to speak Greek. See how the smile reaches his eyes and for a brief moment he comes alive. Notice the difference in the supermarket when you say please and thank you in Greek and have a nice day. Knowing how to say the basic minimum can make all the difference.

It shows respect for others, human kindness and a willingness to embrace someone else’s culture. Have we got out of the habit at home? Are we shy, embarrassed  or nervous that the conversation might continue and we don’t know what to say? Don’t worry most Greeks speak a little English, some a lot and some are fluent. Give it a go….

Good morning……………….Kalimera

Good afternoon/evening…………………Kalispera

Good night……………………Kalanikta

Please/pardon……………….parakalo

Thank you……………………efharisto

Excuse me…………………..signomi

Hello/goodbye………….yia sou (1 person you know)

Hello/goodbye………….yia sas(more people or someone you don’t know)

How are you…………….ti kaneis

Very well…………………poli kala
Just a few words to get you on your way

No comments:

Post a Comment